Quebec Non-Residents

ÉSAD offers French-speaking students an opportunity to study urban planning and regional development in Quebec City, a city whose urban fabric reflects the European and North American planning principles that are still legible in its contemporary territorial dynamics.  Although Laval University’s main language is French, the proximity of the English-speaking regions of Canada and the United States means that students often have access to the latest English-language research and literature, in addition to the latest work out of Quebec, France, Switzerland and Belgium.  The mobility of its professors and students affords ÉSAD a large network with close ties to French and English-speaking countries. More >>

Specifics for Canadian Students from outside Quebec

Studying at ÉSAD provides Canadian students from outside Quebec the opportunity to earn a degree in land use planning and regional development, in French, whether or not French is their first language.  No additional documentation is required to begin Master’s or doctoral studies and tuition, while a higher amount than that paid by Quebec residents is similar to what students pay in their home province.  However, they can apply for bursaries or scholarships which are open to Canadian citizens, as well as for financial aide from their province of origin. Information is provided by the university to Canadian students from outside Quebec.

Specifics for Non-Canadian Students

Students who are neither Canadian citizens nor Quebec residents must undergo several additional administrative steps to comfortably settle in Quebec City for the duration of their studies.  Admitted students must first obtain a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ, Quebec Acceptance Certificate) from the Ministère de l’immigration et des Communautés culturelles du Québec (MICCQ) before applying for a study permit (and visa if necessary) from Immigration Canada.  As this process can take several months, students are strongly encouraged to apply for the CAQ upon receiving confirmation of admission from the university.  Delay in obtaining the CAQ or study permit could prevent the student from entering Canada or from beginning classes on time. Prospective Master’s students should expect to pay around $15,000Cdn for one year of tuition and about $950Cdn per year for insurance. PhD students can apply for exemption, thereby reducing their yearly tuition to around $3,000Cdn.  Please refer to the budget put together by the university (in French only). Scholarship opportunities are scarce for foreign students.  American students can apply for financial aide through the United States Department of Education.